Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Verdict.....

No doubt, if you've paid any attention to the news, you know by now that Casey Anthony was found "not guilty" on all counts, except for lying to the law enforcement officials.  I have read the cries of dis-belief and anger......I have felt them all--as a mother and a grandmother.  And yet, after watching this trial from beginning to end, I have a new appreciation of a trial by jury.

What most people are not thinking at the moment (because they're caught up in the emotions of the trial) is that this jury made their decisions NOT based on emotion or personal opinion.  They were ordered by the court to base their verdicts on the facts, and just the facts.  They were told that if they had ANY doubt, that their decision must be not guilty.  They were instructed that the verdict was based SOLELY on undisputed facts, and not innuendo, personal opinions of Miss Anthony, or "supposed" incidents that were dreamed up by either side of the law.

What you saw, if you watched the trial, was a prosecution who took as many circumstantial facts and laid out their plan to convict Casey Anthony.  The defense masterfully took those very circumstantial facts, and spun as many questions, as the prosecution laid out.  The defense successfully created in the minds of the jury, that not all the facts were "FACT".....that there was perhaps a reasonable doubt that something else happened.

I'm not defending Casey.....I am simply saying that what makes our justice system unique in the world, just exhibited to all of us, whether we agree or not, that justice can be blind.  I still can not wrap my head around whatever happened to precious little Caylee......as a mother, a grandmother, I would give my own life before I would knowingly allow something to happen to one of my children or grandchildren.  There is no reconciliation in my mind as to what could possibly say that whatever happened was just an accident.....but, I don't think any of us will ever know the truth.

What I rest on is that we each have our day of reckoning.  We must each account for the things we have done in our life.  Caylee, being the innocent angel that she was, rests squarely in the arms of God.....free of pain, free of anxiety, free to be the creature God created her to be.

I feel sorry for the Anthony family--torn apart by the death of Caylee, the lies, the betrayals.......it is such a sad day beyond The Verdict.

No comments:

Post a Comment