Sunday, January 1, 2012

Grandparents....Can they give too much?


I became a grandmother just three short years ago, and I have to tell you....I love love love it. I've been involved in their lives since they were all born, so normally I don't feel a need to show up with little treats or surprises all the time.....but, there are lots of times I see something I think they would like and I just want to buy it. In the beginning I didn't think too much about it, but as they've gotten older, I think about it more and more.


I wonder, if they'll come to expect it, and will they be less excited to see me if I don't have a present for them? And then I think back when I was a little girl, and the things that made me the most excited and happy were the things I longed for. When I was little one of the best parts of the year was the Sears catalog that came out before Christmas. Oh wow....it would come to our house, and can I tell you how many pages I dog-eared and how many things I dreamed of getting....or course I didn't get a lot of what I thought I wanted, but the things I did get meant a lot at the time.



With that in mind, the consideration becomes, if I over-indulge my grandchildren, just because it makes me feel happy, am I really doing them any favors? Isn't longing for something actually a good thing? Longing can propel us to work harder to achieve....longing can enable us to appreciate the things we do have....longing can teach us patience......and so much more.



I'm curious though....what are your opinions about grandparents spoiling your children? Or if you're a grandparent how do you feel about this issue?

2 comments:

  1. Some children long for the grandparents they'll never be fortunate enough to know. Spoil them all you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of that....good point!

    ReplyDelete