Thursday, May 12, 2011

Reflections of a Grandmother....

When I first decided I wanted to be a mother, I was full of questions, anticipation, apprehension....you name it.  If you're a mom, you know exactly what I'm talking about.  Since becoming a grandmother I've realized how different my role in life has become.  And, I've also realized how great it is to be the "GRANDmother"....or MiMi as in my case.

~When I was pregnant, I waited eagerly for my belly to grow large enough so my pants wouldn't fit, and I could officially buy maternity clothes.  

As a grandmother I'm having a hard time explaining to myself, much less anyone else, why I can't get my pants buttoned around my waist......

~When I was pregnant, I hoped and prayed I wouldn't get stretch marks.  And, when I did, I resigned myself to the fact, that it was just the price one paid for bringing a new life into the world.  

As a grandmother I keep looking at the "age" spots here and there, and wonder if I'd used more sunscreen, or hadn't laid out with my best friend as teenagers-- if I would have ended up with that skin you see in the old paintings.  You know--milky white--unblemished......instead, splotchy, uneven color that takes more and more concealer to conceal!!

~When I was pregnant, I wondered how I'd lose the "baby weight" and more so I could proudly strut my stuff around my friends and husband.  Well, I lost the weight and more.....lost the husband too....

Now, as a grandmother, I have found it to be an even greater challenge to not become the world's fattest grandmother!  I blame it on my age--which I guess is a flimsy excuse.  Some days it's just plain depressing when I look at all the clothes hanging in my closet that apparently will never adorn my body again.

~When I was a young mother, I was forever concerned about my children getting dirty......

As a grandmother, I have so much fun just watching them play with abandon and not worrying about the dirt so much.  Don't get me wrong, I still wash their little hands and faces, and with all the high tech stain removers available today, I've become somewhat of a laundry expert when it comes to stain removal.....but those things seem so trivial in the scheme of life.

~When I was a young mother, I was always perplexed when it came to getting my girls to eat "right"......no dessert before the meal....no dessert if you didn't eat your vegetables...... 

Now.....we eat the dessert first (don't tell my daughter).  I finally realized kids are kids, and they're pretty much going to eat what they want to eat no matter what.  And, yes....I know you have to have some rules and order about what is acceptable or not....but,  instead of a struggle to force them to eat something......we now work our way into it.  A happy grandchild is generally more likely to comply with your requests to eat the broccoli or tomatoes on their plate than one who's fighting for the cookie.  

My philosophy  now......Get the cookie out of the way!
Did I mention I LOVE being a grandmother!
x0x0

No comments:

Post a Comment